Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

I had to add a post on 1/11/11!!! Funny date! And today I will share the recipe for the soup I made last night. It was a big success! And since it was planned as just an appetizer, I had to fight Dylan who wanted seconds and thirds!
This soup is easy and fast to make...another great weekly dinner recipe! OK...I cheated, I bought the butternut squash already peeled, seeded and cut!




Butternut Squash Soup


Serves 8


About 2.5 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
8 carrots
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 sticks of celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 qt chicken stock
1 to 2 Tbsp ground Jamaican allspice


In a large Dutch oven (my winter favorite!), heat the oil. Add first the squash and the carrots. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the celery and saute for another 5 minutes. Do not let the vegetables stick to the bottom. Add the apples.

Add the stock, the spices and cook, covered, for about 30 to 45 minutes, until the squash is tender. The apples will get mushy but it is ok!

When cooked, puree with an immersion blender, or a food processor. You may add more stock if too thick.
Season with salt.

Serve with a sprig of thyme or two for decoration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be the first one to comment!