Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mini Chocolate Cupcakes with Butter Cream Frosting

Easter...First signs of Spring...and a good excuse to indulge your sweet tooth!!! We celebrated at the Cicalis this year, although for me the celebration was short as I had to work and close the restaurant. Nonetheless, out of boredom (no internet or cable!), and maybe too because I wanted to try my new camera lens, I decided to make cupcakes. Easter calls for chocolate of course and I went to my "Cupcakes" by Martha Stewart for inspiration.



Mini Chocolate Cupcakes 
with Butter Cream Frosting




Makes about 50 mini cupcakes



3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
3 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt (I used my homemade yogurts)
1/3 cup safflower oil (or regular vegetable oil)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract (again I used my homemade vanilla extract)
1 1/2 cup warm water


Swiss Meringue Buttercream




Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Line 2 mini cupcake pans with paper liners.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk,  mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and baking powder, and salt.
Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs, the buttermilk or yogurt, the oil and the vanilla extract. Add the warm water. Mix until well combined and smooth. The batter will be somewhat liquid.
With a ladle, divide the batter evenly into the lined cups, filling them to about 2 thirds.
Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. remove from oven and unmold as soon as possible to prevent further cooking.

To decorate the cupcakes, divide the buttercream and color with food coloring using only a few drops at a time until you achive the desired color.

Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes and enjoy!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Be the first one to comment!