Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Carrot Soup

Winter is soup season, especially when it gets as cold as it got over the last weekend. I do not make soup very often because I never think of it, and I see it as really time consuming. But sometimes it is soooooo worth it! Like this soup that Franck, our chef at Ecoroo, made on Friday.
Carrot and Apple Soup.
It was so delicious that I made it on Sunday for the kids.
We ended up having dinner at our friends, the Cicalis, and I brought the soup with me. All the kids loved it!! Now that's a success in itself!

I use organic carrots because I don't usually peel them.



Carrot and Apple Soup

Serves 8



1 1/2 lb carrots, preferably organic, sliced in 1/2 in. pieces
1/2 lb Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
Vegetable broth
1 tsp curry, to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and julienned


In a large heavy sauce pan, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the diced apples and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the curry, salt and pepper to taste.
Add the vegetable broth to about half way up the level of the carrots and apples.
Cook until the carrots are tender, about 15 more minutes.

Puree the vegetables until smooth, adding more broth if necessary. Adjust the seasonings and serve in individual bowls, topped with the julienned apple and a sprinkle of cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be the first one to comment!