Saturday, April 16, 2011

Charlotte au Chocolat et a la Vanille

I started this post a while ago, but only managed to finish it today!!!
This is a perfect dessert for Easter! Enjoy.

**********

It was a good thing that I had so much free time in early February that I could and did post a few recipes!!! I certainly rested after that!!!

I met with friends today to talk about blogs...! And of course it did come up that my last post was on February 5th........

Well, it was not entirely my fault!
First I had to get ready for my mother, my sister and her three dear children's arrival...That meant cleaning the house entirely (or to be true, supervise my three children clean their side of the house!), getting all the beds ready...
Then I had to get ready for our awesome cruise! Yes!! For the first time in my life I went on the cruise! Not alone of course, but with the entire Steven clan! All 16 of us!
It was incredible! From San Juan, PR, to St. George's, Grenada. Weather, food, cocktails and of course company were wonderful!
We are back to New England now, in the cold, but luckily no more snow!!!

You will certainly enjoy this recipe...a chocolate mousse topped by a vanilla mousse...in a Charlotte!!!Impressive looking, delicious tasting and a lot easier to make that it sounds...or is it? You tell me! The inspiration for this dessert is a Charlotte I bought in Paris at LeNotre bakery on the Avenue de la Grande Armee...This is my adaptation of it!


Chocolate and Vanilla Charlotte



Serves 8



Half a recipe for Chocolate mousse

Vanilla Mousse:
One recipe for Vanilla Pastry cream
2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 gelatin sheets


24 dry Lady finger cookies (I like the ones from Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 Tbsp liqueur


In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, until syrupy. Add the liqueur.


Line the bottom and sides of the charlotte mold with parchment paper. Dip the lady fingers in the syrup and line the bottom and sides of the prepared mold.


Pour the chocolate mousse in the pan, half way up. Refrigerate for about one hour, until it sets.


Remove charlotte from the fridge and add the vanilla mousse. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.




Notes:
* You may add a layer of Chocolate sauce between the chocolate and vanilla mousses:


70 g Sugar (2.5oz)
25 g cocoa powder (1oz)
3 Tbsp heavy cream


In a small saucepan, bring 4 Tbsp water to a boil, with the sugar and cocoa powder. 
In another small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a boil. Add to the chocolate saucepan and bring the mixture back to a boil, mixing. Remove from the heat and let cool. When cooled, pour over chocolate mousse. Let set in fridge before adding the vanilla mousse.













1 comment:

  1. Love the new look of your blog and this recipe sounds scrumtious.

    ReplyDelete

Be the first one to comment!