Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie

We celebrated Isabelle's birthday last Wednesday, as well as her twin brother's, Marc. We were all there, except for a few hard workers that could not make it!!!
In place of a birthday cake, I made a birthday Lemon Meringue Pie!!! Nicole's favorite, and it had been a really long time since I had made one!
One advantage, since it was a week night, and I had just started my new job and knew I would have had no time Wednesday to bake, I started making the different elements on Sunday! The crust was made Sunday and baked Tuesday night. The lemon curd was prepared on Monday night and the pie assembled on Wednesday when I got back from work. I just had to make the meringue, pipe it on the lemon curd and bring the torch with me for last minute browning!!! Et voila!!!



Lemon Meringue Pie



serves 8


One Sugar Crust (recipe makes 2 crusts; freeze other half for another use)
One recipe Lemon Curd

5 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar


Preheat the oven to 350F.
Butter and flour a pie pan with a removable bottom.

Roll the sugar crust and line the prepared pan. With a fork, poke holes on the bottom of the pan to prevent bubbling during baking. Place in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
Bake until golden brown, checking for air bubbles - poke with the fork if they form - about 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely.

Meanwhile prepare the lemon curd according to recipe.

Prepare the meringue:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Slowly add the sugar and keep beating until stiff peaks form.

Assemble the pie:
Pour the lemon curd in the prepared crust.
Top with the meringue: You may either pipe it on top of the curd in a decorative fashion, or simply spoon it over delicately with a rubber spatula.

To brow the meringue, just before serving, I choose the sale torch I use for the Creme Brulee. If you do not have a torch, you can brow it under the broiler, for just a few minutes.

Bon appetit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be the first one to comment!